Monday, May 26, 2008

Crazy Hair Day

Last week I got to cut ten-year-old Abe Ogles' hair for Crazy Hair Day at his school. He had purposely let it grow long so he'd have something to work with, and he planned to shave it all off the next day, so nothing was out of the question. Normally his brother Max would do it, but since Max is off at school this summer, I was the replacement. I was honored.

After being treated to a hamburger dinner at Abe's house, I sat with him and his brother Sam and we sketched out some possibilities on a slice of scratch paper. Stripes, mohawks of various persuasions, the Shaolin monk—we even browsed a book called The Mullet: Hairstyle of the Gods. But in the end we decided on a simple design that was sure to shock. Ladies and gentlemen,

the Half'n'half:


 

Simple, effective, and gutsy. I heard he spiked the long side straight out for school the next day. And even though there isn't an actual winner of Crazy Hair Day, I'm pretty sure everyone over at The Plains Elementary School knows who won.

Me and the winner

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That little dude is cute. Is it just me, or does he look like he could be yours? No insult intended to his mom, of course, I'm just saying he reminds me of you. You, on the other hand, are reminding me of someone. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

David Grover said...

Sure, I guess if I had fathered a child when I was sixteen that he could be mine.

As for me, it's clear I look just like Aladdin. I need a little red fez.

Elisa said...

Maybe you should have let him cut your hair, too. You're borderline Fabio.

Jennifer said...

You look like Walt Whitman.